Date:        Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:26:25 +0100
    From:        Harald van Dijk <a...@gigawatt.nl>

  | I think the definition of "write", in Base Definitions, tries to say so,

To a degree, yes, but I don't think that actually adds anything to what
we already knew.

  | but I also think the definition is wrong.

Probably, though one could argue whether it is wrong in the way that
you suggest, via your proposed alternate wording, or instead really
means to say "to a stream" but that seems (or seemed) awkward, especially
back when "streams" as a kind of networking interface still existed, and
using "stream" might have been considered misleading.

  | P.S.: The fact that the underlying file descriptor of standard output is
  | fd 1 rather than some other fd is specified under "stderr, stdin, stdout
  | - standard I/O streams", look for "STDOUT_FILENO", but I think that is
  | ultimately no longer relevant.

For the last point, it never really was relevant.   pwd writes to standard
output, whatever that is.

But for interest, what section are you referring to, I don't have a (useful)
PDF grep tool (I have one, somewhere, but every  time I use it, I seem to
spend more time trying to figure out what it is telling me than getting any
kind of useful result ... that is, I can probably get to see the line
containing some string (or pattern) but what is needed is the context, and
that I don't seem able to either extract, or get a reference so I can find
it using some other tool.   Never mind...)

kre

ps: we really don't want to get into the rathole that is what it means to
actually "write to a file" - and where the data must be before that is
considered to have succeeded.