Robert Elz <k...@munnari.oz.au> wrote:

>     Date:        Mon, 05 Jul 2021 20:05:20 +0200
>     From:        "Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
> <austin-group-l@opengroup.org>
>
>   | That would be in conflict with long existing practice....
>
> Apparently not in most versions of sort.

If you call NetBSd "most versions"....

it seems that all other sort implementations use a uniform definition
for -S and Netbsd is in conflict with "all other sort implementations", at
least with Solaris, GNU, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

>   | If you like to disable -s, better use +s
>
> No, + options don't work in general, and would be even more difficult to
> support in sort because of keeping backward compat with its old key
> specification syntax.

Given that the historic + usage with sort expects a digit past +, I see no
conflict.

> If we need a different option (really need) then we simply use a different
> option (for which we'd simply allow both, the new, and -S).

As mentioned, your proposal for -S is not compatible with most versions of
sort.

Jörg

--
EMail:jo...@schily.net                  Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
                                        Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

  • Re: sort -c/C and l... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: sort -c/C ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: sort -c/C ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: sort -c/C ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: sort -c/C ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: sort -... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: so... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: sort -... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: so... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: sort -c/C and l... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group