"Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:

> I asked for examples, or explanations of situations, where using the
> POSIX ::= operator as currently defined isn't sufficient, and the
> different behavior of the :::= operator is required instead.

Hasn't it been explained many times that the non-orthogonal behavior of gmake
for the += operator for macros created with the gmake := operator is a source
of unpredictable behavior, in special if large layered (via include) makefile
systems are used and you cannot easily see how a macro was initially created?

The :::= operator fixes this and allows to predict how other operators behave.

Jörg

--
EMail:jo...@schily.net                  Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
                                        Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

  • Re: [Issue 8 drafts ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Issue 8 dr... Nick Stoughton via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: [Issue ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [Is... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Scott Lurndal via austin-group-l at The Open Group