On 10/09/2021 22:54, Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
"Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:

Either the distinction matters or it doesn't. If it matters, then it was
important to switch back to talk about what O?uz wrote. If it doesn't
matter, then it should not be a problem that I switched back to talk
about what O?uz wrote. It may be that the distinction doesn't matter. If
it helps with understanding, I will answer again based on the integer
version.

O?uz's suggested output, translated to the integer version, would be
(please correct me if I am misstating anything here):

    $ printf '%3$d %1$d\n' 1 2 3 4
    0 1
    0 3

This is not correct, the correct output is:

        printf '%3$d %1$d\n' 1 2 3 4
        3 1
        0 4

so please read the documentation, e.g. from:

http://schilytools.sourceforge.net/man/man1/bosh.1.html

play a bit with that feature and rethink what you wrote...

I never said that output was what any implementation of printf would generate, I said that that output was what Oğuz suggested printf _should_ generate. That's why I wrote "Oğuz's suggested output" in that message. You, meanwhile, said that what Oğuz suggested printf _should_ do is what it _did_ do. That is utterly false and you still have not retracted that false claim.

I do not know whether you actually believe what you are writing at this point. I do know there is no point in continuing this because you are misinterpreting them to such a point that communication just completely breaks down. I do not know whether this is intentional. If it is, it is an outright form of dishonesty. I really hope it is not. If it is not, it is still a giant waste of everyone's time. Either way, shame on you.

  • Adding %n$ conversi... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Adding %n$... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Adding... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Ad... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Adding %n$... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Adding %n$... Don Cragun via austin-group-l at The Open Group