On 2021-10-23 08:53:06 -0700, Scott Lurndal via austin-group-l at The Open
Group wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 01:51:15PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l
> at The Open Group wrote:
> > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/asctime.html
> > says about asctime:
> >
> >   The standard developers decided to mark the asctime() and
> >   asctime_r() functions obsolescent even though asctime() is in
> >   the ISO C standard due to the possibility of buffer overflow.
>
> asctime() is also non-reentrant; which is another reason to mark
> it obsolescent.

Not all applications need reentrant functions. In any case, I don't
see the point of marking it obsolescent *before* ISO C does.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>

  • asctime and ctime Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: asctime and ... Scott Lurndal via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: asctime ... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group