On Sun, 2022-04-03 at 08:41 +0700, Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The
Open Group wrote:
> Actually there's no reason to forbid them, they simply do
> not work.   Applications cannot expect them to work.
> That's all that needs to be said.

Well than let's not call it forbid, but - as already the case (also in
Geoff's proposal) - use a wording like "other than <backslash> or
<newline>"

That doesn't forbid it, but leaves the "complex" details on *why* this
is so, to the interested reader in the rationale.

> That's how innovation happens.

Well it's not that I'd have anything against innovation (I mean I do
love PCRE).

But many of those extensions made by implementations in areas where
POSIX doesn't define things, cause IMO quite some trouble in practise.
Not rarely even when the user just uses what POSIX actually does
define.

Just take the mess with `locale` in the shell command language. Many
subtle differences... basically no chance to ever reconcile them.

btw: For those interested: I've made a PDF for just sed, based on the
draft, but with colourisations for the additions/removals of Geoff's
proposal from:
https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1550#c5761
(my mind got twisted, when I tried to do it via the "replace that on
page x line y with..." ^^)

I'd share it if anyone who's interested in those issues has an
interest... but I have no idea whether I'd break some copyright or
so... :-/

Cheers,
Chris.

        • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: [Issue 8... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Is... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Christoph Anton Mitterer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Lawrence Velázquez via austin-group-l at The Open Group