Hello.

Robert Elz wrote in
 <2506.1704431...@jacaranda.noi.kre.to>:
 |    Date:        Thu, 04 Jan 2024 23:24:26 +0100
 |    From:        Steffen Nurpmeso <stef...@sdaoden.eu>
 |
 || I was hoping for the draft; the selection list does not offer
 || anything but ..TC2 and it.
 |
 |If you want, you can submit a bug now, using any base standard
 |that is in some way still current.   It just won't get processed
 |at all (beyond random notes being added) until the next standard
 |is being worked on, so submitting now is kind of pointless.

Yes i will open one soon.  I will not add much more than in the
email i wrote, so page numbers and such are no problem.
tzalloc/tzfree are completely new anyway, and the other two
functions get a paragraph added where they belong.

 |On the other hand, delaying may lead to a much better proposal.
 |I in particular would like to see "struct tm" given a complete
 |overhaul - resulting in a struct with a different name of
 |course.   And then, naturally, the interface routines that
 |manipulate it all need redesigning (and renaming).
 |
 |That would be the perfect opportunity to make all the new ones
 |thread safe, and just allow what is there now to wither away.
 |
 |Of course, this is not the place to do that design (and implementation)
 |that needs to happen elsewhere, and then be spread amongst the
 |various systems first - only then should anything happen in the
 |standards universe.

Mostly "everyone i know" was doing some kind of "datetime" object.
If a the native C library would make that fast and thread-safe out
of the box, i would expect many scripting languages (and simple
C or C++ wrappers) to be very happy about it.
Actually having such an API as such would be even better ... but
i can hardly imagine this to happen.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • IANA TZ / NerBSD TZ:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: IANA TZ / N... enh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: IANA TZ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: IAN... enh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: IANA TZ / N... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: IANA TZ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: IANA TZ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: IAN... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: IAN... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group