Date:        Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:56:27 +0000
    From:        Jonathan Wakely <jwak...@redhat.com>

Thanks:

  | The emails have Content-type: multipart/mixed and the text/html part
  | includes the meeting time:

Well, technically, the multipart/mixed is the body, and the calendar info.

The body is multipart/alternative and has text/plain and text/html.

As you may have surmised, I only ever read text/plain if that is present
(in a multipart/alternative the content of the parts is supposed to be
the same, with only the presentation varying - though this is not even
close to the worst breach of that rule I have seen).

  | Strangely, that's missing from the text/plain part. Maybe because it's
  | in a <table> that can't easily be converted to plain text, so it's
  | just omitted by whatever software generates the email.

The info could be added to both, in the free text part, then that the
table at the head of the html version got omitted wouldn't be an issue.

kre

ps: if nothing changes, I'll keep reading the text/plain and using the
calendar attachment for the date & time.   And I still think the data/time
should be given in UTC rather than America/New_York which requires anyone
not in North America to know their summer time rules to translate - if
given in UTC one only needs to know ones own (perhaps varying) zone offset.

  • Austin Grou... Single UNIX Specification via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Austin... Single UNIX Specification via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Austin... Single UNIX Specification via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Austin... Single UNIX Specification via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Jonathan Wakely via austin-group-l at The Open Group