On 03/01/2017 02:35 PM, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:

My query is this: Would libexecdir be the best place to put a file that
is architecture dependent, but *not* meant to be executed separatedly
(it's a library).  Or should it actually be stored under libdir

$libexecdir is meant to take a suite's/package's "internal/sub-programs/executables/scripts" (typically with executable permissions). Think of it as a auxiliary $bindir, which is supposed not to be in $PATH.

$libdir/<subdir>/ (e.g. %libdir/<package>) is the playground a package can install more or less whatever it wants, comprising executables.

As your "scripts" don't seem to be "programs", $libdir/<subdir> probably is what you are looking for.

> (which
> I've never seen done with a shell library of functions)?
Storing script fragments or scripts in $libdir would be unusual and discussworthy, but installing these to $libdir/<packages>/ is quite common.

Ralf