I agree. Consider RHEL/CentOS where you can simultanneously install both .i686
and .x86_64 versions of one package. The packages are allowed to have
overlapping files, if these files don't differ.

If one puts script libraries to $libdir/<subdir>,  CentOS will have duplicate
files in /lib/<subdir> and /lib64/<subdir>, but in case of $datadir there will
be only one /usr/share/<subpackage>