Hi Mike,

    the ACLOCAL_PATH functionality is useful (adding search dirs after -I),
    but a bit unwieldy as an env var.  any reason we can't add a command line
    option for this ?

Seems like a fine idea to me.

    call it --aclocal-path ?  or --extra-system-acdir ?

Reading the doc, my hunch is to call it --aclocal-path and make the
semantics of its argument be exactly the same as $ACLOCAL_PATH. Wdyt?

But if both are set, should the --aclocal-path argument replace
$ACLOCAL_PATH, or augment it (earlier of course)? I'm not sure.

By the way, would it be feasible to have --help show the actual values
for --automake-acdir and --system-acdir? It is far from obvious.
--thanks, karl.