On 19/01/2022, Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> the ACLOCAL_PATH functionality is useful (adding search dirs after -I),
> but a bit unwieldy as an env var.  any reason we can't add a command line
> option for this ?  call it --aclocal-path ?  or --extra-system-acdir ?
> or some other other boring name ?
>
> for context, when cross-compiling, autotools (i.e. automake) tend to be
> installed in the system (i.e. /usr/), while all the libraries & macros
> being built against are found in a separate sysroot (e.g. ~/sysroot/).
> we want to insert that ~/sysroot/usr/share/aclocal path after the set
> of -I flags from the package, but before /usr/share/aclocal.
> -mike

FWIW another option besides the env var is to create a third
directory, and put a file called "dirlist" in it with two lines:

  /path/to/sysroot/usr/share/aclocal
  /usr/share/aclocal

Then you can use the --system-acdir=/path/to/that/directory option
for aclocal to have it search both places.

Cheers,
  Nick