Dear Jörg Wunsch,

first: Thank you for your contribution to AVaRICE and maintaining it. It seems
you took offense in my previous email, which was never my intention. I'm sorry
for that.

A new release would be greatly appreciated. The one-liner patch I posted does
not apply to the current SVN head and the bug is already fixed there. So a new
release would solve that issue and other issues and I would be really grateful
for that.

I still believe I have a point in both suggestions (Fixing indentation by
running astyle/uncrustify/clang-format/... and moving AVaRICE to a different
code hosting platform). Let me elaborate on why the code hosting platform is
more relevant than it seems:

As you said, AVaRICE would greatly profit from attracting new contributors. In
order to increase the chance that other contribute the choice of a hosting
platform (and also VCS, as you brought that up) can have a huge impact. E.g.
let's assume AVaRICE would move to GitHub:

- About 6.5 times more coders already have an account there [1], so it's
  more likely that they stumble upon AVaRICE by chance and end up using it and
  hopefully contributing to it
- Most of the computer science students that attend one of our courses already
  have experience in using git, but few have experience using subversion
- The effort to contribute is quite low on platforms like GitHub, GitLab, ...
- Also, the effort to maintain is quite low on those platforms and the burden
  of maintenance can be distributed

Summing up: The project would be more public and visible, so that more people
get the chance to contribute. Also, the bar to contribute would be
significantly lowered, as potential contributors are more likely to already
know the tools and the process of contribution is more streamlined there. So
while changing the code hosting platform does not address any of the actual
issues, it might lead to others contributing important improvements.

Regarding the search of a new maintainer of AVaRICE you mentioned: Maybe the
OpenOCD guys are willing to adopt AVaRICE? They would have the expertise
required to maintain it. Also maybe integrating the code of AVaRICE into
OpenOCD could be an interesting long term goal, which would solve the problem
of too few active contributors, as OpenOCD seem to have an active community.
(And OpenOCD is hosted on SourceForge, so no code migration would be required.)

Another suggestion regarding the maintainer is to ask big users of AVaRICE.
E.g. RIOT OS is using it to debug the Arduino Mega 2560. They might not have
the same expertise regarding debuggers as OpenOCD (as their main competence is
writing an IoT operating system), but they certainly have the infrastructure
and expertise required for maintaining open source projects. And for users of
AVaRICE (RIOT OS or others) have a natural interest in keeping AVaRICE running.

I'm really interested in having an open source tool for OCD of AVR MCUs. Sadly,
I neither have the expertise regarding debuggers nor the time to provide
significant contributions. However, I am willing to contribute any bugfix and
improvement that I program in order to keep AVaRICE running for the OCD of the
platforms I'm working with. Maybe, if others do the same those minor
contributions add up.

Kind regards,
Marian

[1]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities#Popularity

M.Sc. Marian Buschsieweke
Dept. Communication and Networked Systems (ComSys)
Institute for Intelligent Cooperating Systems (IKS)
Otto-von-Guericke-University of Magdeburg
Universitätsplatz 2, Building 29, Room 314
39106 Magdeburg
Germany

http://www.comsys.ovgu.de/Team/Marian+Buschsieweke.html
Tel.: +49 - 391 - 67 - 52673