On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Defusco III, Albert A <defu...@pitt.edu> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Let me add a bit to this discussion as well. I've been working on the
> crystallography extension in Avogadro2 and I find it exceeding difficult to
> use the CrystalTools while editing or creating molecules.
>
> 1. It takes several clicks in and out of view mode along with renaming the
> "molecule" before the Crystal QT plugin recognizes that there is even a
> molecule present. From what I can tell in edit mode the following check
> returns false for a new molecule.
>
> crystal.cpp:
> if (m_molecule)
>
> 2. Once a unit cell has been added it is not visible in edit mode. The
> following appears to return false.
>
> 3. Crystal operations, like filling a unit cell, show nothing in edit mode.
> They appear to work and the output is present once the user changes to view
> mode.
>
> All of these operations just worked in the 0.7 release and it didn't care if
> the user had selected an edit tool or a view tool. One of the great features
> of Avogadro is that the molecule was always editable and the programmer
> didn't have to make many, or even any, special considerations when writing
> tools.

Like I said, please give me a little time to finish it up, perhaps I
committed the feature too soon. Many of these issues are rendering
artifacts, along with some issues around certain editing features not
being ported to use the right structure. I am not pushing to keep it
this way, but like I said when I was over in Pittsburgh this can be
made intuitive with a little more work - I will see if I can get that
finished up soon so that things are easier, and we can make a release.

Thanks for your patience, I am thankfully done with travel for a
while, and should be able to focus on finishing this up. Major
advantages are a scalable undo/redo (with some rough edges
admittedly), and I honestly think it will be worth it to reduce
confusion about properties that are simply no longer valid after
editing. In the UI the difference between editing and viewing should
be fluid, but I hope to create a much clearer model in the API so that
we focus on doing one or the other well in most cases.

If by some chance it doesn't work out I can back out some of the changes.

Marcus