> It's worth noting that if you want to keep the wiki functionality but
> move it into GitHub,

Indeed, I think this would be a nice way to separate out *developer*
documentation and user documentation. The *dev* documentation can be put into
the GitHub repository wiki.

> Also, if you can get the Mediawiki markup out of the XML, you can convert
> that to GitHub-flavoured markdown (as well as a bunch of other formats) with
> pandoc, which would work for either the GitHub wiki, or the Jekyll-based
> pages. Something like a combination of pandoc and the CPAN
> MediaWiki::DumpFile::Pages package might do the job, though it'd probably
> require some checking and clean-up; the translation probably won't be
> *perfect*.

Agreed. If anyone is willing to take a stab, I'd be very grateful. There are a
few packages claiming to do this, but they seem very brittle, e.g.
https://github.com/clioweb/mediawiki-jekyll
http://medialab.di.unipi.it/wiki/Wikipedia_Extractor

The latter one (in Perl) definitely works (e.g., from the XML dump) but needs
to be hacked to separate things into separate page files.

In any case, I'm glad there's some positive reception for this idea. It might
be shelved for a bit, and I'm sure it'll need clean-up (e.g., migrating images).

Worst case scenario, once Pitt gives me the OK to hire some undergrads, I'll
let them loose on this.

-Geoff