> I turned on wiki and issues for the repo if that helps. The GitHub wikis are
> backed by git, and have editing facilities built in

As I said before, I think we should consider separating developer-oriented docs
and user-centric docs. The MediaWiki lumped them together.

My proposal is to split the current wiki content:
* Developer-centric docs -> GitHub Wiki
* User-centric docs -> Static pages @ http://avogadro.cc

The problem with GitHub wiki for a project is that it clearly “lives” at
GitHub. You can’t re-skin it, add your logo, or serve from a custom domain.

That said, I think it would be great to have the “Compiling under Visual
Studio” guides, “Working with Git” and similar developer-oriented docs here.
The API overview is another good candidate.
https://github.com/cryos/avogadro/wiki

For user-centric documentation, (tutorial, educational exercises, etc.) I’m
merely suggesting GitHub pages. I’m open to other possibilities, but..
* Keep it simple (e.g., easy to generate static HTML to distribute)
* Make it easy to contribute
* No spam
* Needs to be themed, so we can at least hang an Avogadro logo
* Ideally responsive web design so people can view easily on mobile or tablet

I think GitHub pages (and thus Jekyll) could qualify. I don’t do much web
development so I’m *very* open to suggestions and discussion. A wiki would be
great, except that MediaWiki response is fairly slow, and it’s easily spammed.

Let’s continue the discussion.. Other ideas to fix the user documentation?

-Geoff

P.S. I already dumped the Pandoc markdown, so it can go wherever. For now, it’s
here:
https://github.com/AvogadroChem/AvogadroChem.github.io