To reiterate what Ian said, I think that pandoc + maybe a shell script will
get you most of the way there. If you have the XML, you can try (untested):

pandoc -f mediawiki -t markdown file.xml

(f is “from”, t is “to) I also just tried parsing a URL directly and it’s
not bad. This works decently well:

pandoc -f html -t markdown http://avogadro.cc/wiki/Tutorials:Getting_started

Regarding Jekyll / Liquid, I don’t think the AvogadroChem.github.io
approach is the way to go. There’s a little wiki button to the right of any
github repo (ex. d3’s wiki <https://github.com/mbostock/d3>). My vote is to
start with an official avogadro git repo (https://github.com/cryos/avogadro
maybe?), git clone cryos/avogadro.wiki.git, dump in pandoc markdown, and
then review the contents.

Regards,
Pat
​