Hi koniu,

At 1251749608 time_t, koniu wrote:
> There's a couple of patches for awful.prompt but only the 'font' one
> is related. Other ones are general improvments/fixes.

Thanks for your work!

> There's not much news in terms of functionality (it's been fairly
> complete for months now) and now after a bunch of rebases with plenty
> of edits and squashes the branch and code proposed should be cleanish,
> maybe lacking a bit of comments which I will be happy to provide in
> the near future.

I've a couple of things to add:
- awful.{button,key}: you set description only on ret[1], which seems
  not right, all returned objects should have a description set.
- awful.help require naughty. That's not a bad thing IMHO, but that
  raises again the awful->naughty dependency. We should discuss that.
- I did not tried you branch (I can't right now), but I'm not sure if
  you amended correctly my patch generating documentation. The C API
  documentation is no more auto-generated. Be careful.

> I'm most interested in feedback regarding adding actual descriptions
> to the default rc.lua and awful submodules, and their content. As you
> can see I've added a bunch of descriptions inside awful.widget.* and
> I'm wondering if taglist/tasklist should be handled the same way or
> whether it should be as it is now - inside rc.lua.
>
> Perhaps this could be a post-merge target, but one nice thing I
> thought of would be automagic description retrieval for
> buttons/keybindings based on the functions that they execute. So
> instead of having to do
>
>    awful.button({ }, 4, awful.tag.viewnext, nil, "Switch to next tag")
>
> to set the description in rc.lua, the function trying to display docs
> for that button would check description for awful.tag.viewnext. That
> would make transition from non-described rc.lua to having a keybinding
> cheatsheet much easier. There are a few problems with it however:
>
> - descriptions taken from luadoc are a bit dirty (eg
> awful.tag.viewnext it's "View next tag. This is the same as
> tag.viewidx(1)" which obviously is a bit too long for a summary of
> bindings. so luadoc for everything would need to be cleaned up a bit
> which seems like a big task.

I'm not sure (i.e. I can't recall) but I wonder if there's not 2 part in
a function documentation in luadoc (a summary and a complete
description). I unfortunately cannot check right now, but you can take a
look by hacking lua-doc-generate.lua to see what type of documentation
is available from luadoc data structure.

OTOH your idea about grabbing the function description rather than
setting one *again* in rc.lua is a good idea IMHO.

I'll try to test your branch ASAP. But do not hesitate to continue working
on it in the meantime. ;)

Btw, you should send me (patch or pull request) the patch totally unrelated
to awful.doc, I'll review and merge. That should split the workload of
rebasing/reviewing. :)

Thanks again koniu.

Cheers,
--