+1 Andreas; please keep going .. but a little flare-up once in a way is
always good to wake everyone up from their slumber ;-).

Sanjiva.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<hiranya...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <deep...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> > 2) I think there is no need to start yelling around about "merrily
>> > chang[ing] APIs", "things are going to become a big mess" and "engage
>> > the community before making such drastic changes". I did lots of fixes
>> > in Axiom and Axis2 since Synapse trunk switched from Axis2 SNAPSHOT to
>> > 1.5, and when Hiranya switched back to SNAPSHOT there were no
>> > particular issues related to them, except for the issue discussed
>> > here. I personally take the suggestion that my changes make of Axis2 a
>> > big mess as an offense. If that is what some people think, I can stop
>> > immediately to work on Axis2 and Axiom. With respect to engaging the
>> > community, as mentioned above, the description of AXIS2-4465 provides
>> > enough information about the reasons for the change and as Dims
>> > pointed out, we have a commit-and-review policy. Since the change is
>> > focused, not massive, can easily be reverted and contains an
>> > appropriate level of Javadoc, I think that the community has
>> > everything that is needed to review it.
>> >
>> You are doing a great work with Axis2 project and as I can see you are
>> so active in the project, so there is no need to stop what you are doing.
>

> +1.
>
> Andreas, you have been a great contributor for Axis2 and AXIOM over the
> past few months and I'm sure the community highly values and appreciates all
> your contributions. Most of your changes were very good ones and required
> ones too. It is just this change needs a bit of reworking and cleanup to
> maintain compatibility with the custom extensions - that's all :)
>
> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>

>> > 3) The discussion in AXIS2-4465 pointed to the problem that even by
>> > preserving the public API of AxisServlet, we will probably not be able
>> > to avoid breaking subclasses. This is caused by the fact that
>> > AxisServlet doesn't have an extensible design. If somebody has a
>> > brilliant idea how to get around this problem (other than reverting
>> > the fix and reopening the 6 issues it is supposed to solve), please
>> > speak out.
>> >
>> I am not going to ask you to revert the patch, but we should not change
>> the public APIs. This is not the first time that happens, and I those
>> times I also point them out. Just because we have commit then review, we
>> do not have time to go though each and every commits (when I was having
>> time I did that). So as the commiters of the project let's not try to
>> break the features we have or let's not change public APIs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Deepal
>> > Andreas
>> >
>> > [1] http://markmail.org/message/62dixjx3qrqry3yr
>> > [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=744900

>> auto
>> effort
>> of a
>> what
> [...]

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;
http://www.opensource.lk/

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/