Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:28:02 +0000
From: danandma...@comcast.net
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy]Portuguese wine

It is a dessert liqueur.  Not wine.

As for Azorean table wines, there is one from Pico called Basalto that is a
very nice red. Otherwise, seek wines from the mainland (Douro, Alentejo, Dao
regions).

Summer is ideal for vinhos verdes. Some are produced rather cheaply and
over-carbonated (Gatao, Lagosta, and Mateus are in this category). Really nice
one, not expensive, served very cold is Casal Garcia. Probably the best quality
vinho verde is Palacio da Brejoeira. You'll pay a little more but it is great
quality.

Here in Nashville, it has taken us a while to educate various wine stores to
get these wines in but they are finally catching on and everyone is happier.

Maria Moore