Wow!  How interesting.
 
Ally
 
 
In a message dated 3/17/2011 10:26:25 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,  
[email protected] writes:

It took awhile for ALL my dad's DNA results to come in on the Family  
Finder test, but they are now in.
 
Vocabulary lesson for those new or wondering about DNA:
Family Tree DNA (FTDNA):  The oldest and largest DNA testing company  
dedicated to genealogy.  They have high standards and are also involved  in 
national type standards, which they adhere to.  These are only some of  the 
reasons that the Azores DNA project is housed with FTDNA.
 
Family Finder:  A DNA test for autosomal DNA.  All your  lines.
 
Autosomal DNA:  Imagine this.  We all have 4  grandparents.  Let's use a 
deck of cards to represent each one: Clubs,  spades, hearts, and diamonds.  We 
get half our DNA from our father and  half from our mother.  Our father got 
half from his mom and half from his  dad.  Same goes for our mom.  So, 
theoretically, we should be 25% of  each grandparent.  However, DNA is a kind 
of 
recombining or shuffling of  DNA.  So if we take our deck of cards and 
shuffle them, that's like the  DNA recombining.  Keep half the deck and discard 
half.  Then shuffle  that half again.  Keep half and discard half.  Now look 
at the  cards.  Do you have 25% clubs, 25% hearts, 25% spades, and 25%  
diamonds?  Probably not.  
That's kind of what happens with DNA  as it is passed down each generation.
 
Why I tested my dad:  I have only half of his genes and 25% of each  of his 
parents (in theory, that is.  I may phycially have 20% from one  and 30% 
from the other).  My dad has roughly 50% from each parent (or 48  - 52% each 
parent).  So I tested his DNA because he has more of the  previous 
generations.
 
The results:
Population Finder:  This tells you on a large scale what percentages  you 
are:  African (there are subgroups), American (Central or South  American 
subgroups only), East Asian, European (no Portuguese data in their  sample), 
Middle Eastern, Oceania, or South Asian.  My dad, who is half  Portuguese and 
half American tested out to be 100% European, give or take  0.01%.  So I 
think it's pretty safe to say that within the last 5 to 7  generations, there 
are no surprises in his tree.  However, since the  geneticists that study 
populations have no Portuguese in their sample, my  dad's sub-European group is 
French!  I know his American half is made out  of lines that are heavy 
British surnames.  FTDNA does state that  Population Finder is in beta testing. 
 
As the geneticists study more  populations and add that data to their 
samples, I'm sure my dad's subgroup  will change as FTDNA updates that database.
 
Family Finder Matches:  I was pretty sure I wasn't going to have any  
Portuguese matches with my dad, as not many Portuguese people have had this  
test 
yet.  I did get a couple of matches on his American side.  It  takes some 
doing though and a pedigree that you can look at.  My dad has  a 2-great 
Bolton ancestor.  Once the other person posted Bolton, I knew  that is where 
the 
match was.  All we had to do was share our  Bolton lines and find the name 
of the common ancestor.  The  disappointment was cousin Charles.  He has 
Damrons and my dad's  great-grandma was a Damron.  Their common ancestors were 
born in the  1750s.  I was hoping there was enough DNA from the 1750s - 
1760s that  lasted until the 1930s when my dad and cousin Charles were born.   
180-something years.  And the Damron married his first cousin, so I was  
really hoping that there was enough DNA material to last that many  
generations. 
 I guess not with these two.  Either that or someone's  Damron pedigree is 
wrong.  But with the Damron clan, I don't think  so.  There's pretty good 
research with them, so I think that there just  wasn't quite enough genetic 
material that got passed down to these two  men.
 
However, my mom's DNA had a match that went back 140 years.  Again,  I have 
my mom's Gedcom up on her page and once I saw the other person post  their 
surnames, I knew where the match was.  Another neat feature:   Once I see 
the match, I can go to the Chromosome Browser and "see" exactly  where on the 
chromosome they match.  My mom matches this cousin on a big  chunk of 
chromosome 11 and a little bit on chromosome 15.
 
Funny about my mom:  She's from the Ozarks of Missouri.  Lived  right on 
the state line.  She crossed the street and she was in  Arkansas!  Her lines 
are heavy Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and  Virginia.  Or so I 
thought.  Her Population Finder?  90%  European (subgroup the British Isles, 
which 
is what I suspected).  The  other 10%?  Middle Eastern!  Time to reexamine 
her genealogy!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila  Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das 
Tainhas, Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to  
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when  
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged,  or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group  at 
_http://groups.google.com/group/Azores_ (http://groups.google.com/group/Azores) 
.  
Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will 
 take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to