The only 2 cents I can think of for Tony is  at first  I thought hmm at least I
haven't seen that many  Francis Josephs.

 I tried visualibg all the common names and then it hut me:  his name in the
records of the Azores  was probably FRANCISCO JOSE.- not Francis Joseph.   I
don't know if this sheds a sliver of  light  on anything.

Maria Elena