Ellis Island (www.ellisisland.org) operated from 1892-1954.  It's an island
in the New York Harbor, so many times people refer to it as sailing into
NY.  The Ellis Island Web site will cover records for the above dates for
Ellis Island/NY only.

Before 1892, people sailing into NY went through Castle Garden. Those dates
of operation are 1855-1890.  Their Web site has only arrivals for their
port in NY on the above dates: http://www.castlegarden.org/

If you look on Ancestry and poke around a bit, you will see that they have
NY, Ellis Island, Philly, Atlantic Ports (but not for the 1880s), and even
more.  Mike, you're probably striking out on Ancestry because the years you
need are not covered.

To find out what exists though you may have to go to your public library
and get Michael Tepper's "American Arrival Records."  There are 4 chapters
and it says what years they cover.  Find the chapter that covers the
1880s.  Go to the back of that chapter.  There's charts back that they says
what exists, what's been indexed, and a couple of other things, like the
NARA film numbers, I think.  It lists all ports too.

Your public library also had the Morton Allen Directory.  But I think
that's just NY.

I'd look in my books (I own both), but they are still packed because of my
move.

There are no records that exist for leaving America.  I did verify that
with Marian Smith of the USCIS (United States Citizen and Immigration
Service - used to be called the INS).

Your ancestor may have said Fairhaven because that is where she was
physically going to live.  I would think that she sailed either into NY
(Ellis) or New Bedford, since that is very close to Fairhaven.  She could
be counted in either port (sailed into NY first then the boat continued
onto New Bedford...depending on the captain, he may have had everyone
counted in NY or he may have waited and had those continuing on counted in
New Bedford).  There's a remote chance that they sailed into Canada and
then crossed the border that way.  Ancestry has those records too, but I
don't know how comprehensive they are.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to