Hi Everyone,

I have a question on witnesses @ marriages.  Were they family members, like
godparents @ baptisms?

This is my husband's 3rd grgrandparent's 1822 marriage record and from what
I can translate the witnesses are:

Ignacio Soares de Albergaria Souza Capitão-mor in the village of Velas &
Joao Antonio Cordeiro, single, native of corte of Lisbon

And they both signed the document.  Wasn't that unusual for people to be
able to write then?  What "Velas" are they referring to?  Velas, Sao
Jorge???

Here is the link to the marriage record on the CCA site:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-SE-C-1814-1828/TER-AH-SE-C-1814-1828_item1/P106.html

I know the groom's parents are from Sao Jorge but that is all the info I
have.

Any ideas anyone may have on this marriage would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Fawn Silva

St. Louis, MO