Hello Joseph,

I couldn't resist your challenge.

What is clear is the "ao" ending. That leaves one with a lot fewer choices for names.
Expanding on that, it is pretty clear there is an "l" before the "al" and that now gives you "lao" and once you see that, you can see the "u" before the "l" and before the "u" you see a large "C" and there is nothing left to choose but Niculao and I am going with that.

Moving over to the parents, the father is Mathias, not Matheus. So it's Matias da Costa and Josefa. But her second name is maybe "Parobo" and I don't recognize that as a real name. So for another reason, you must find another example from another child and hope it's more clear.

As for Isabella's comment about "legitimo" I looked over the following baptisms from this priest and he isn't using that word on any of them. But what is lacking in your record is the phrase "e de sua mulher" (and of his wife) which is not in all the records, but in many of them. The ones where that phrase is lacking might mean those couples are not married, but there are so many that I doubt it. You would have to study all these couples and find or not find their marriages to see whether this priest is simply not consistent.

You will see on page 0026 the baptism of a child named Agostinho and the father is another "Niculao."

Good luck!

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Joam da Costa (Might be his birth record
-- can't really read it) Help!
From: Isabella Baltar <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, March 22, 2014 5:12 am
To: [email protected]

I don't read neither Joam, nor legitimate. This is a very decorative  penmanship and needs further study on this specific handwriting. I quiclkly went back and forth on some pages to check on the scriber writing and the way he writes Joam is very different from that one, the word legitimate as well is not present after his name. 

Joseph, I suggest you to research that book and try to find a similar pattern for that name, if you think this record is from your family.

Isabella Baltar
myportuguesegen.blogspot.com

On Friday, March 21, 2014 6:55:25 AM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote:
Thanks.  I showed this to Joao Ventura and he doesn't think that it's a birth record for "Joam", but rather "Nicolao (or Nicolau).

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:14:56 PM UTC-4, Dano wrote:
Joseph, This is indeed difficult to read, but not impossible. Joam's name is mentioned at the beginning " legitimate (abbrv) son of "Mathias" da Costa native of this freguesia of Sam Miguel of Villa Franca do Campo nasceo (was born) on the 4th day of the month of September 1751, and, was baptized in this same church of Sam Miguel, matriz of the aforementioned Villa, parish of his parents on the sixth day of the current month and year by me, Maoel de Medeiros , Curate of this matriz. Godfather was Mathias de Andrade, single, parishioner of this Matriz, and witnesses Pedro Corea, and Miguel Pereyra, and for the record I dated this day, month and as above.

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:45:13 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote:
I think I may have found my 4th great grandfather's,  Joam da Costa's, birth record, but I'm not sure.  Per my previous post,  he is the son of Matheus da Costa and Jozefa Pacheco (also appears as Pachequa or Pacheca).  Can anyone read this.  In the link below, it's on the right-hand page in the lower right corner.  Looks like this is from Sept 1751?  I need help verifying that these are in fact the names of the parents on this record.  What about grandparents' names?  Anyone see those?
--
 

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to