Thank all of you for the input.  It sounds like I don't need to plan too 
much time at the arquivo, but I do plan to go.  I had hoped to be able to 
see the actual records. The certified copy of the baptism record I want is 
actually for my grandfather (I mistyped), who was born in 1877. 
Mary

On Friday, April 11, 2014 11:31:02 AM UTC-4, João Ventura wrote:
>
> Hello Mary,
>
> Is it just me, or why is it not obvious that since everything but Ribeira 
> Grande is accessible via the web, you should do all that research at home??
>
> By all means, visit the archive if you're researching Ribeira Grande (and 
> ask them why they skipped it!). Or simply visit it to know the place and 
> the people working there. Tell them they're doing a great job (which is 
> true!). But spending a whole day in front of their computers instead of 
> your home computer seems a terrible waste of time.
>
> You can ask them for the certified copy of your father's baptism in 
> advance, and tell them you'll pick it up there. One vital piece of 
> information you haven't shared is your father's birth year. Is it before 
> 1911? I presume so, since you said you've got it on microfilm. If not, the 
> Archive is the  wrong place to look for it, as that information is still in 
> the 'Conservatoria do Registo Civil'.
>
> Regards,
>
> João Ventura
> http://tombo.pt/en
>
> On Friday, 11 April 2014 14:59:39 UTC+2, Terri wrote:
>>
>>
>> I was at the archivo in Ponta Delgada last summer also.  There are only 2 
>>> computers with the documents online and the few times I went...I was also 
>>> able to get a computer.  I tried to be there once they opened to  ensure I 
>>> would get a spot.  If you have a list of what you want printed...give it to 
>>> them early.  As I researched, I wrote down the place, year, name, and  page 
>>> number I wanted.  Hand it into the clerk early if you want print outs 
>>> because if you give them too many to look up, you will be waiting a 
>>> loooooooong time.  You need patience.They crop the name you want and print 
>>> out only that persons info.  If the document you want splits into two 
>>> pages...you pay for 2 pages even if its just the last line.  It is better 
>>> to give them the list and have them email you.  The archivo also has some 
>>> books on a shelf available with geneology info.  I can't remember exactly , 
>>> but i think it was marriages for Bretanha or Agua de Pau...for certain 
>>> years.  
>>>
>>      Terri Santos
>>     researching Agua d'Alto, Agua de Pau, Ginetes, Vila Franca do Campo 
>>
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to