I too, have cataracts, in both eyes and I'm blind in one eye, but, my eye 
doctor is putting surgery off because of glaucoma. I know how hard it is to 
read documents - I don't want to give in to the disease, but sometimes, I 
just can't do the CCA stuff.

There are some aids that I've found helpful. To help view some records I 
use colored filters - yellow or goldenrod seem to work best - also, if 
you're familiar with night vision glasses, they seem to help, as well. I 
also bought a scanner with built in filters, which I use for difficult to 
read originals. 

My wife has an IPad, but I don't want to monopolize it, because, I gave it 
to her as a gift. My laptop works pretty well, though, I can tilt the 
screen back a little, and that helps with the contrast. 

As for the tutorial, its still a good idea, because if you don't read 
Portuguese well, you can at least figure out how various narratives are 
structured. Then when you go to your documents, you know where and how far 
down to look for your dates, and where to find the names and places, etc. 

If you think baptisms are hard, I've had more than my share of marriage 
records with tiny, cramped, script, written by a scribe who's trying to 
save space. Those experiences usually involved a lot cursing and swearing 
on my part.  Thank God, I now can expand such documents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:10:37 PM UTC-4, Lee wrote:
>
> Dano,
>
> Thank you.  Part of my problem is that aim legally blind in one eye nod 
> have had cataract surgeries in both.
>
> At times the records are too light for me read and in some cases the words 
> seem to run together.  Luckily, I can see better using my iPad because I 
> can have it closer to me.
>
> Again, thanks.  
>
> Lee
>
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to