Good Morning,
I don't have any information on a specific Monte family but I will translate information according to the encyclopedia Familias Nobres Suas Origens E Suas Armas written in 1961 by Antonio Machado de Faria, which contains all the noble families in Portugal and their coat of arms. Regarding the surname Monte it states "Surname of geographical origin, ancient not all families who use it have the same origin. The coat of arms attributed to this family belong to the Monte family of Rome and Venice" I will summarize the rest because it doesn't translate well, the author goes on to say that the surname has also been generated in Portugal as well, and those lines aren't related to the aforementioned ones. Antonio On Monday, June 2, 2014 8:43:13 PM UTC-7, Doug da Rocha Holmes wrote: > > I don't know how common Monte is on Sao Miguel, but there is a Monte > family from Sao Miguel from the late 1600s that settled in Terceira. > > But I suppose there could be a lot of ways and reasons a person could > start using do Monte as a surname. Maybe they first lived in the castle at > Monte do Brasil, moved to Sao Miguel, then back to Terceira. :-) > > Doug da Rocha Holmes > Sacramento, California > Pico & Terceira Genealogist > 916-550-1618 > www.dholmes.com > > > -- For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

