From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Phil Lopes
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:16 PM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Seeking Portuguese citizenship

I just received my Portuguese citizenship on May 14 of this year. It took me 7
years to obtain mainly because I had lived in three different countries and I
was required to get a police report from each one to prove that I had no
criminal record. Since after considerable trying I was unable to get such
reports I was saved by the new Portuguese Vice Consul in San Francisco who
secured a waiver for the police reports. The other time consuming part was the
Portuguese language test which is only offered in the US a couple of times a
year. I do not have a passport only a citizenship card but with the card and
$138.00 I can get a passport. At this time, I have no intention of getting a
passport but yes it is recognized not only by European Union countries but any
country in the world. I began the process soon after the Portuguese government
changed the law to allow second generation (my parents were born in the US but
grandparents were born in Portugal) people to get citizenship.

Phil Lopes