Try Roots Magic. If I recall correctly, it is a continuation of PAF on
private basis. It imported all my FTM files without any problems. They have
very good support and run by people who are interested in Genealogy, not
just putting the next version.

Your problem may be related to a bad sector in hard drive, or the huge file
you have. I would immediately save your files to external device, such as
thumb or flash drive. You can buy them in 16 to 64 gig sizes which should
be good enough for back-up. They are fairly cheap nowadays. Then delete
your Legacy program (not your files) using the windows deinstaller which
can be found in the Programs section. Then re-install Legacy and see if
there is any difference. My concern would be that your system or hard drive
could fail and you may lose everything. Even new hard drives fail.

JR