Hi Cheri,

Yes I know Flores is an island and Horta is a city on the island of Faial. I 
also read that at one time the District of Horta was made up of 4 islands that 
included Flores. My grandfather insisted it was Flores Horta so I am just 
repeating what he always said. Thought maybe he knew something that I didn”t. 
There were American whaling ships with Portuguese workers that went to Hawaii. 
From which island my grandfather left, I don’t know. Sorry, the years: Born: 
1852 or 1853. If you happen to come across anything please let me know. Thank 
you so much for the info. I will surely check it out!!!

Gloria Rodrigues
> On Apr 23, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Gloria R,
> 
> Flores is an island.  Horta is a city on the island of Faial.  
> 
> I don't think the whalers went to Hawaii.  The people who research Hawaii 
> know best though.  To get to Hawaii from the Azores, you left from Ponta 
> Delgada on the island of Sao Miguel or from Funchal on Madeira (Madeira is 
> not part of the Azores). 
> 
> Also check your years.  Born 1952 or 1955 but died in 1919?  Did you mean 
> 1852 or 1855?
> 
> A how to is here: goo.gl/Ds6UKd <http://goo.gl/Ds6UKd>
> 
> You also might want to look at the Portuguese Hawaiian site, Your Island 
> Routes at www.yourislandroutes.com <http://www.yourislandroutes.com/>.  It's 
> undergoing redesign, so some web link may not work.
> 
> I'm not sure if the Portuguese Genealogical Society of Hawaii has a web site, 
> but the president is on this list or you can contact him at dgnils at 
> hotmail.com <http://hotmail.com/>
> 
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, 
> Achada
> 
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores 
> <http://groups.google.com/group/Azores>. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores 
> <http://groups.google.com/group/azores>.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to