Barb,
I haven't had a lot of opportunity until recently to find online family
trees.  Not many seem to be working on similar lines.  But, recently more
of my lines are appearing in Ancestry Family Trees.

Some of the work is just awful.  I'm amazed at how little critical thinking
and analysis some people use when constructing their trees.  I found my
great grandfather listed by one researcher with the wrong surname and
apparently a bigamist.  They had him with wife and children in MA at the
same time he was escaping Hawaii for California because he had leprosy.

My grandfather's cousin, Maria (Pacheco) Iida, who spent her entire life on
Kauai, is attached to a family in Mexico by one researcher.  In this case,
the person had documents.  However, they've drawn the wrong conclusions.
One Portuguese Maria Pacheco is not the same as another Mexican one.

(This is why I finally put my tree online.  It's at WikiTree.)

I use online family trees as a guidelines for further research unless I
know the researcher.  Even still,  I verify the detail with my own
research. If they've given sources, I check them.

Side note...my wish list item would be that online family tree programs
have a feature that warns people when what they are about to input is in
conflict.  Something like "Are you really sure Maria had two marriages at
the same time?"  ;)