Would love to hear from anyone else whose direct maternal line runs through the
Azores and whose mtDNA tests as haplogroup V.

>From what I am reading, V is spread out across Europe at low levels, except
>for accounting for over 50% of the Sami people ("Lapps") and around 19% of the
>Cantabrian people in Spain.  (If I recall correctly, Basques have a lower
>percentage than Sami and Cantabrians, but still higher than average...)

And I've seen genetic studies of the Azores where the overall prevalence of V
thrpughout the archipelago is similar to that around most of Europe -- but also
one study that says that its prevalence in the Western group of the Azores is
33% (which would apparently be the highest rate in the world other than among
the Sami), and that it's the most heavily represented haplogroup in the Western
group.

My earliest known ancestor in my direct maternal line lived on Flores, so she
forms part of this pattern for V in the Western group.  I'm interested in
trying to set up a database for Azoreans and Azorean-descendants who fall into
V, to see if we can construct a tree back to one or more identifiable "mothers"
of V who brought the haplogroup to the Azores and to whom (or to one of whom)
all Azorean Vs can trace their direct maternal lines.

David da Silva Cornell
Miami, FL

Researching the following surnames and places:

Faial - Furtado, Terra, Furtado da Terra (unknown freguesia(s), but signs
currently point to Pedro Miguel)

Flores - Freitas, Lourenço, Coelho (unknown freguesia(s))

Pico - Silveira Cardoso, Macedo, Machado, Pereira Madruga, Ferreira,
Cardoso, Cardoso Machado, Vieira, Bettencourt, Dutra, Castanho, Homem,
Goulart, Quaresma, Moniz, Barreto, Silveira, Pereira, Álvares (all Lajes do
Pico)

S. Jorge - Silva, Botelho, Azevedo, Cardoso (Urzelina); Silva, Azevedo,
Cardoso (Santo António in Norte Grande)