The correct term for both births should have been "adulterino(a)" "Natural"
means that while the parents were not married to each other, they also were not
married to anybody else, and therefore there was no legal impediment to a
marriage of the two parents if they wanted to marry. "Iligitimo" usually means
that the father of the child was married to somebody else, i.e. he could not
marry the child's mother even if he wanted to.
JMR