Paul,

Since no one with perhaps more expertise has yet come forth on this, I will
write how I see it.

The answer lies with the Priests that wrote the records..

Cura Francisco Ignacio Pacheco in 1880 writes "natural".  He did not
qualify how it came about but he describes by saying "husband was away
(ausente)" and does not name him. He also states the child is of incognito
paternal grandparents. The reader, will quickly figure out the type of
relationship.

Cura Manuel Monis de Sousa in 1882 writes "adulterino" which is specific
and qualified. States husband's name and that he was, away in Brasil.

They are both "adulterino" because they were conceived outside of the
marriage.

They are also both "natural" children.  T

The fact of the matter is that the word "natural' is misapplied by the
Church for all births are natural by its very nature. We are all natural of
our parents.  However,it was a way they found to qualify non-legitimate
births in society.

Margaret

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Paul <pagome...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Here is the link for Manuel
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-
> MAEDEDEUS-B-1880-1882/SMG-PV-MAEDEDEUS-B-1880-1882_item1/P174.html

Margaret M Vicente