I'm starting the topic of lost husbands in its own thread since Paul's
topic was different. However, when Margaret brought the following up, I had
questions.

Margaret said:
<<They are all saying the same thing i.e. husband was away, not missing.
The number of years gives the reader an insight at this lady's situation.
Unfortunately this happened to many women on the islands with immigrated
husbands. Some waited for many years, others didn't. Does this answer your
question?>>

I would say it's a fairly safe bet for the man to leave. Why did he leave?
Some of my thoughts would be he left to try to make a better life. One
would like to think that he went somewhere with the intent of making money
to send back for his wife and children, (assuming he had children already).
Suppose he was not successful in making enough money. He's in a new county
and she's back in the Azores. It must be very difficult for her, and more
so if she had children.

Suppose the husband and wife decided that they could not stand each other.
I'm sure very few got divorced back then. He could leave and start up a new
family in a new country and no one would know.

>From the couple of ideas I thought of above, the husband could start over
and no one would know. He could have a second family! But everyone in the
freguesia knew if she had a 2nd family!

Does anyone have historical insight as to these situations?
Achada