I'm starting the topic of lost husbands in its own thread since Paul's topic was different. However, when Margaret brought the following up, I had questions.
Margaret said: <<They are all saying the same thing i.e. husband was away, not missing. The number of years gives the reader an insight at this lady's situation. Unfortunately this happened to many women on the islands with immigrated husbands. Some waited for many years, others didn't. Does this answer your question?>> I would say it's a fairly safe bet for the man to leave. Why did he leave? Some of my thoughts would be he left to try to make a better life. One would like to think that he went somewhere with the intent of making money to send back for his wife and children, (assuming he had children already). Suppose he was not successful in making enough money. He's in a new county and she's back in the Azores. It must be very difficult for her, and more so if she had children. Suppose the husband and wife decided that they could not stand each other. I'm sure very few got divorced back then. He could leave and start up a new family in a new country and no one would know. >From the couple of ideas I thought of above, the husband could start over and no one would know. He could have a second family! But everyone in the freguesia knew if she had a 2nd family! Does anyone have historical insight as to these situations? Cheri Mello Listowner, Azores-Gen Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

