Hi Carmen,
"why is his last name soares when his father's is da costa".
His parents are Antonio da Costa and Umbelina Francisca. The parents of
Umbelina Francisca are Francisco Soares e Maria de Matos. O "Soares" is from
his maternal grandfather.The composed surname of the portugues people is, the
more frequently, an association of a paternal surname and a maternal surname.
It's very frequent that a child have not the same surname of the father. The
complete surname of Jacinto is "Soares Oliveira". Then, probably, there is an
"Oliveira" in the ascendants of Antonio da Costa.
The godfather of Maria and the "procurador" of the madrinha are children of
Antonio Soares Rebelo. Probably from the Francisco Soares family.The godfather
of Teresa is Francisco Soares son fo Francisca Soares. Probably the brother of
Umbelina Francisca. And the "procurador" of the godmother is José Soares.
Probably from the Francisco Soares family.The dois  "procuradores" of the
godparents of Antonio are"Francisco Soares de Oliveira priest", probably a
parent of Jacinto Soares Oliveira, and João Francisco Soares, Probably from the
Francisco Soares family. Philippe Garnier Paris - France
http://philippegarnier112.wixsite.com/familiasilhaterceira/copie-de-familias-da-ilha-terceira

    Em Quinta-feira, 20 de Outubro de 2016 21:34, 'carmen furtado' via Azores