Good eye Cheri... except this is one where family history fills in a couple
of gaps.

The bride that I'm looking for (who is the child in the baptismal record...
Maria) is indeed the daughter of Antonio Andrade Chaves (my great
grandfather) and of Maria Jacintha d'Chaves. Although the father is not
named in the baptismal record, Antonio Andrade Chaves would later legally
register this child as his daughter. In terms of the last name "Rosa"...
this one baffles me a bit... however Maria Jacintha d'Chaves' sister, Anna
Jacintha de Chaves, would also give birth to an illegitimate child and her
child's name as an adult is Antonio Chaves Rosa (and his father's last name
was Moura). I believe "Rosa" was a family nickname. These ladies had a
grandmother by the name of Rosa (who as it turns out had their mother out
of wedlock as well). It's entirely possible that this family nickname came
from this grandmother named Rosa. Clearly where the nickname comes from is
pure speculation on my part... however I'm very confident that "Rosa" is a
nickname and that somehow this nickname became a legal last name.

On a slight tangent... what's with all the children being born out of
wedlock ;)