Andrew, I don't know what the timing requirements were but I've found all
of my people getting their passportes just a few days to a week before they
sailed! As "E" does, I work backwords from the date of arrival in the US
and hope I find them in one of the ports. Start with the closest one and
they go out from there. Since you didn't find them in Horta, try Anga and
lastly, Ponta Delgada. You might want to go back a ways in Horta first
though.

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily