Just need to add to the clarification. I just chatted with an agent at
Family Search.

I wanted to share the information I received:

When FamilySearch acquires a collection to put online, the record owner of
the collection, such as a government agency, specifies the restriction
setting on the collection. There are some records that can only be viewed
at a Family History Center regardless of LDS or Non-Member account status.

My question to the FamilySearch Agent: So the government restricted the
online to members only?

Agents answer: yes, they only gave permission to the LDS Church to view
online, which extends to LDS membership. However, by contract, our
non-member patrons may view the same images online at a computer at a
Family History Center. Our goal is to provide free access to records to as
many as possible and still abide by the contracts set forth by records
holders. We realize it isn't a perfect system, but it gives millions access
to free records rather than the expense of traveling to the Family History
Library or other repositories

So it is the Azores Government that has put the restriction in place.

Marilyn Thompson