From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
João Ventura
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:23 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Microfilms discontinued

Indeed...

Just to clarify:

1. Microfilms will no longer be orderable on a FHC - last day is August 31st (9
days from now). Presumably, they won't throw them away, at least maybe until
the reader breaks down.

2. Current access on the Internet will not change. It will remain exactly as it
is either via CCA or tombo.pt.

What we're talking here is only that in some books in CCA, the quality is so
low that to read the smudges you need to see the microfilm. Maybe they will
eventually upgrade those books to a higher resolution in CCA. We can certainly
ask them.

However, if you're a Mormon, there's another way to view the microfilms online.
Take for instance the Vila Franca do Campo microfilms:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/382500 . If you scroll down and
click on the 'camera' icon, you'll be able to see them online at the full
resolution. And to clarify. It's not just a FamilySearch account - it's an LDS
church member FamilySearch account - those have higher privileges inside the
system allowing them to do temple ordinances. There's no way to get an account
of this type without becoming a Mormon. If you have a FamilySearch account, or
you're a FamilySearch indexer, you still are locked out of most Portuguese
images.

João Ventura

http://tombo.pt/en