Dear Azores genealogy research group,

Can anyone help me learn how to determine a person's last name, especially
the females? Time and time again, I find individuals to connect to my tree
but I can't determine a last name. Here is one example. Maria de Jesus was
born to Francisco Miguel de CASTRO and Maria de Jesus 1 March 1842. The baptism
record
<http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1834-1845/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1834-1845_item1/P151.html>
has her name as just Maria. Her marriage record
<http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-C-1870-1879/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-C-1870-1879_item1/P52.html>
has her name as Maria de Jesus. I know that quite often the Portuguese
would choose their last name by the time they were at marrying age. Is
there a rule of thumb if you can't find a last name, though?

Elizabeth Cunha Jewkes