From: Cheri Mello
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:16 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] which is correct, "z" or "s"

Yes, most of us now just use the modern spelling. It's a headache down the road
when you get a few thousand people. Say the marriage says Manoel da Souza and
Marianna da Trindade, I enter Manuel da Sousa and Mariana da Trindade and I put
in the marriage note field "married as Manoel da Souza and Marianna da
Trindade."

De Da Do....Yeah, if we all used them, then the majority of Portuguese names
would begin with the letter D! The De Da Do is really a surname prefix. In the
above example I would enter the names like this:
Given: Manuel da
Surname: Sousa
and for her:
Given: Mariana da Trindade
Surname:

Her surname is left blank. I can search by first name in my fully featured
genealogy program, so it's not a problem at all.

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:07 AM 'Sam (Camas, WA)' via Azores Genealogy