I am sure this has been discussed before, but no matter how I searched I
could not find an answer. I am working to "clean up" my family tree. I want
to be consistent with surnames. I have some de Bettencourts for example
showing under de, some under Bettencourt. I am tempted to ignore the de
when alphabetizing, but my big stumbling block is my own maiden name. We
went by De Salles.  Always under the letter D. I am thinking of not using
the de for index purposed unless I know for sure the family used it in
America - De Costa, De Freitas, De Salles etc. Any thoughts or advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Gerri Martin