www.htmlguru.com is your friend here.  Specifically, http://www.htmlguru.com/content/webpages/guru/guru.html

Very elderly site, but still very nice looking.  (Although given that it's (c) 1998, don't expect it to work in Firefox / Mozilla based browsers.)

However, if you want to work with 3d on the client side, Flash is still your best bet.  I know you say you don't want to have to work with plugins, but it's installed on (something like) 98.7% of machines.

Cheers,

Rich.