I was going to jot down a few links, and some of the problems (ie. the
Royal Mail) but Simon just posted a run down, which at least saved my
typing fingers.

http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2006/11/17/postcode

A few useful links on there.

G

On 17/11/06, Gavin Montague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Purely as a thought-experiment (cough), a wee ruby script that you
might be able to adapt.

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

#
# Example
# >./pofinder G38DN
# >55.866061 -4.273608
#

require 'rubygems'
require 'mechanize'

agent = WWW::Mechanize.new

postcode = ARGV[0]
begin
   gmap_url = "http://maps.google.com/maps?q="+postcode.gsub(' ', "+")
   gmap = agent.get(gmap_url).root.to_s;
rescue
   puts "Cannot derive coordinates for that postcode"
end

if matches = /lat:\s*(-?[0-9\.]+),\s*lng:\s*(-?[0-9\.]+)/.match(gmap)
   latitude = matches[1]
   longitude = matches[2]
   printf("%s %s\n", latitude, longitude)
end




On 16 Nov 2006, at 23:00, Dave Cross wrote:

>
> I've got a couple of hundred full UK postcodes that I want to
> convert to lat/long values. And I thought to myself 1/ Postcoder
> would be the perfect tool to do that with and 2/ when I was working
> on Postcoder earlier this year there was lots of talk about
> releasing the API as part
> of Backstage. But there were licensing problems.
>
> So I just thought I'd ask if those licensing problems were any
> nearer to being solved and whether the Postcoder API was any closer
> to being made public.
>
> Or, failing that, what other tools do people use to convert
> postcodes to lat/long? It seems to me that the Google Maps GeoCoder
> object doesn't understand UK postcodes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
> please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/
> mailing_list.html.  Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-
> archive.com/[email protected]/

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/



--
Gareth Rushgrove
morethanseven.net
webdesignbookshelf.com
refreshnewcastle.org
frontendarchitecture.com
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to