Aha!

Back in the day (about 4 years ago) BBC Web producers were measured on
Page Impressions, rather than the now current Unique Users.

On older sites you'll find a lot of areas like galleries, articles, and
quizzes that split content in to lots of subpages, and encouraged
repeated clicking.

This is not a coincidence...

(This was, however, 4 years ago, and isn't something that goes on any
more.)