Hi James!

"The poet, the artist, the sleuth - whoever sharpens our preception
tends to be antisocial; rarely "well-adjusted," he cannot go along
with currents and trends. A strange bond often exists among antisocial
type in their power to see environments as they really are.

Professionalism merges the individual into patterns of total environment.
Amateurism seeks the development of the total awareness of the individual
and the critical awareness of the groundrules of society. The amateur
can afford to lose, the professional tends to classify & specialize,
to accept uncritically the groundrules of the environment.
The groundrules provided by the mass response of his colleagues serve
as a pervasive environment of which he is contentedly unaware.
The "expert" is the man who stays put.

"There are children playing in the street who could solve some of my
top problems in physics, because they have modes of sensory perception
that I lost long ago."  - J.Robert.Oppenheimer"

- "The Medium is the Massage", 1967

--
Regards,
Dave