On 18 Apr 2007, at 22:51, Jonathan Tweed wrote:

On 18 Apr 2007, at 20:03, James Cox wrote:

On 18 Apr 2007, at 19:34, Tom Loosemore wrote:

it'll be delivered via the internet... using that funny HTML stuff

(streamed in Real/WM I expect, cos that'll make it easier to set up - it is a trial after all...).

The actual site itself is very nice, IMHO (not that I had anything to do with it!)

Shame. I love the idea of digging into blackadder and jeeves and wooster and all the other comedy greats -- but getting them in a format that is at least somewhat representative of their quality. Sucks that I'd have to stream it.... certainly encoding into divx or mpg would show some understanding of the marketspace.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest encoding as divx or mpg would show an understanding of the marketplace. It is unfortunately not quite so simple.

This is a limited, fixed length trial that will hopefully lead to a Public Value Test. Surely then it makes sense to make use of the BBC's existing Real/WM infrastructure to deliver the content?

Fixed Length Trial? Public Value Test? (one has to love the steps to get something done. bravo for trying).

Sure it makes sense - i'm not being overly grumpy, just assuming that most of the archive will have had to have been transcoded into something to enable reasonable online delivery; I presume it's stored in a petabyte archive store someplace, in some kind of raw or semi- raw format natively - thus encoding it --- getting it to real / wm is great- you have that, but adding in a divx/mpg transcoder so that a level of quality is preserved would be great.

Why do i care? because whilst streaming is great for live events, imho... it's not really fantastic for enjoying the backlist.

I hope that if this gets past the various layers of governance and gets budget to become a 'real' project, some effort into hooking up into bittorrent (I'm sure Bram could come up with some trickery to have certified users (ie, license fee payers ;)) only which would permit some kind of higher bandwidth product.

That would almost be worth paying for. :)

-- james

Disclaimer: I work at the BBC but not on the Archive Trial. I do however work in a related area and have had limited access to a pre- trial version of the site. I really like what I've seen so far and would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to sign up for the trial before it fills up. My views are of course my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

understood - and thanks for commenting.