On 18 Apr 2007, at 23:07, Tom Loosemore wrote:



> Shame. I love the idea of digging into blackadder and jeeves and
> wooster and all the other comedy greats -- but getting them in a
> format that is at least somewhat representative of their quality.
> Sucks that I'd have to stream it.... certainly encoding into divx
> or mpg would show some understanding of the marketspace.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest encoding as divx or mpg
would show an understanding of the marketplace. It is unfortunately
not quite so simple.

This is a limited, fixed length trial that will hopefully lead to a
Public Value Test. Surely then it makes sense to make use of the
BBC's existing Real/WM infrastructure to deliver the content?

Hell, if we were going to show some understanding of the marketplace we'd do it all in Flash (which I still hope we do, TBH)


It's interesting; I've got a couple of younger siblings - one young enough to still be called a teenager -- just. When asking him and my friends how they're consuming media online, almost all accept the dip in quality -- a youtube effect? -- in exchange for the immediacy of delivery. It's the designers and artists amongst my friends who sit patiently waiting for their HD versions to download. :)

What does that mean for the beeb? I think maybe a bit of both: wouldn't it be nice to open up the archives globally to everyone using flash in a youtube deal.... but reserving the higher quality versions for uk natives....

-  james
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to